I have been in love with caramelised nuts for quite a long time, I love caramelised hazelnuts sprinkled over a hot smoked salmon, roasted beetroot & vinagarette leafy salad greens. Today I plan to break these up (once I stop munching on them) and scatter them over a roasted beetroot salad and serve that alongside my onion, thyme and parmesan tart.
I also think these would be just plain lovely served with drinks on Christmas eve in a little bowl. You may like to give everyone their own bowl!.
ratio is up to you to decide, this is how I did it.
- Two handfuls or so of walnuts and sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons of Extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons of soft brown sugar
- teaspoon of sea salt or to taste
- big pinch of cinnamon
- heat olive oil gently over a low to medium heat (be careful not to burn)
- add brown sugar, sea salt, cinnamon and stir together
- add the nuts, cook gently until everything gets thick and sticky.
- spread nuts out on to baking paper to cool for ten minutes.
- break up into pieces.