It has been hectic working two jobs and at the end of the day whirling together a luscious meal worthy of a career superstar, Mother & Wife. I have standards and even though I have been trying to simplify my mid-week evening cooking, I always end up picking recipes and ideas that take three hours!. Well this amazing little dish I made last night hit all the right taste buds. Again it was from my new Bill Granger cookbook (see my previous post).
I bought a huge 800gram organic Cauliflower from the Mt Pleasant Farmers Market for $2, broke it up into little florets and blanched it for one and a half minutes. It was then coated in this light tempura batter recipe from Bills new book and thrown into shallow hot olive oil so it went all light and crispy. It smelled amazing too. It reminded my of fish and chips, except this was like cauliflower and cauliflower. I made little mini soft lettuce leaf and Cauliflower tacos, with a squeeze of lemon juice and freshly chopped coriander. I ate so much of this last night I can now say you can get FULL eating Cauliflower. By the way the photo below was shared with two hungry men, just in case you thought I ate the 800 gram whole plate of cauli all by myself. I wanted to but had to share it. It was so so good. It would be perfect as a pre dinner snack with a cold beer on a hot summer evening. If you would like the recipe get the book or email me and I will post it online. 🙂
I have a confession…If you were to take a look in my fridge vegetable drawer you may find a limp, sad old cauliflower turning grey and brown around the edges. I am terrible for meaning well and buying a cauli every now and then, when the time comes to using it I reach for the much more exciting cavalo nero, slim shiny green beans or spunky beetroot!. I was finally inspired out of my CAULIFLOWER APATHY by a delicious eggplant, cauliflower and coriander salad I ate at Christchurchs newly reopened VICS cafe on Victoria street. I raced home and started trawling the internet to find a similar recipe and came up with zero. I thought I did get an audition to Masterchef (which sadly I turned down) surely this can not be too hard to replicate, so here is the recipe I came up with. Any recipe testers out there please let me know how you like it. I teamed mine with a delicious Wholemeal Lentil pie, just like VICS cafe.
Cauliflower and Eggplant salad
- Fresh Cauliflower, Eggplant and Coriander Salad
RECIPE –Cauliflower and Eggplant Salad
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets and blanched
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 tsp coriander ground seeds
- Handful fresh coriander
- 1 clove garlic
- Olive oil – However much is needed to get the job done
- 1 Lemon
- 1 knob of butter
- Pre heat oven to 200 deg
- Boil salted water blanch cauliflower and refresh under cold water. Set aside.
- Chop eggplant into small to medium cubes, drizzle with oil and season with sea salt
- Roast in the pre heated oven for about 20-25 min until cooked through and soft.
- Heat a small frypan and melt the butter and oil, add the garlic and then the spices. Then add in the cauliflower to coat.
- Tip this into a salad bowl add the cooked eggplant, season and add chopped fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- This is excellent on its own as a light salad or great as a side dish.